People often ask me how to achieve more balance in life. This is an important question. In so many families, both parents are working, and the struggle to find that work family balance is never ending. If you are single parent, the challenges are even more intense.
In order to even begin to answer how to balance work and life, it is important to define what is work life balance? Dictionary.com defines balance as equal distribution of weight, amount, etc. That would mean in order to actually have balance, your commitment to work and family would be equally distributed. Not realistic? Maybe it is.
Many of us find ourselves working excessive hours, never “unplugging” from our electronic devices, and always aiming to get ahead in business. But at what sacrifice? How much is enough? Do you really have to work so much, or are you choosing to.
In order to balance life and work, you must be willing to change your life and your beliefs about success. Here are some ideas for How to Balance Work and Life:
- Ask yourself if the “work” you are doing right now must be done now.
- Make yourself and your family priorities.
- Schedule time for yourself, your spouse, and your kids-write it on the calendar like any other appointment.
- Reevaluate your goals and beliefs about success-is success monetary, or does a happy family rate higher?
- Unplug! Yes, that’s right. Stop checking your work email every 10 seconds. Most often, it can wait.
Do you truly desire to live a balanced life? What changes are you willing to make?